Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Japan Earthquake Update March 14, 2011



In Tokyo, we have some minor inconveniences such as interrupted train service and frequent aftershocks, but it nothing like what the people in the north of the country are experiencing.


I simply couldn’t stay inside today and just watch the news coverage, so I took my brother-in-law’s advice: I took my camera outside to see what was happening in my neighbourhood. The result is a ten-minute video about “panic buying” that you can see by pushing the link above.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

After watching this video I can't help feeling that if we had had such a devastating earthquake, or other catastrophe here in the UK, the panic buying would be far worse. Most people seemed to be carrying two, three, maybe four bags, here they would be carting it away by the carload. Most likely we would have looting and chaos too. Rationing would have to be implemented here, as it was during WWII. People still queueing patiently, not pushing, shoving and grabbing is commendable.

Ian Thomas Ash said...

Yes, I fear to think of how this event would have been handled in the US as well. At least people are hoarding things they need here, not stealing big screen TVs...